Specialty Teams

Monday-Friday: 8:00 am-6:00 pm
Saturday-Sunday: Closed

Emergency & Critical Care

Open 24/7

281-491-7800
1515 Lake Pointe Pkwy,
Sugar Land, TX 77478

The Sago Palm Strikes Again

Although Sago Palms are pretty, they aren’t good for your pets. The Sago is typically found in outdoor landscapes in the warmer regions of the U.S. and used as indoor decor in the cooler regions of the U.S.

Sago Palms, also known as coontie palms, cardboards palms, cycades, or zymias, are available in small nurseries and in the garden area of the larger home improvement stores. 

WHAT PART OF THE SAGO PALM IS TOXIC & HOW TOXIC IS IT?

All parts of the Sago Palm are toxic to your pet. The seeds are especially toxic and much easier for your pet to consume due to the smooth texture. The toxicity levels are dependent on the amount of plant matter consumed vs. the size of your pet. Another factor that plays into toxicity levels is the current health status of your pet. 

SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF INGESTION

The toxin that is released is called Cycasin. Symptoms can be seen as early as 15 minutes post-ingestion. This can vary, and some symptoms can take hours to be seen. 

List of symptoms

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Decreased appetite
  • Blood in feces
  • Black tarry stool
  • Nose bleeds
  • Lethargy
  • Icterus (yellow coloration of skin and gums)
  • Ascites (accumulation of fluid in the abdomen)
  • Abdominal pain
  • Increased thirst and urination
  • Bruising
  • Neurological signs (depression, circling, paralysis, seizures, coma)

DIAGNOSING & TREATING

It is important to know that there is no easy way to diagnose Sago Palm toxicity. The biggest help to your veterinarian will be you, the pet owner! Any history of exposure is important to know, so make sure you let your veterinarian know what kind of plants you have in your home and yard. Also, be mindful of the vegetation around you when taking your pet for a walk, to the park, etc. 

When it comes to your pet and poisons, quicker treatment is essential to success! If you know or suspect your pet has ingested something toxic, call SLVS immediately. We are here for you! 

If you think your pet has ingested something toxic call Animal Poison Control at (888) 426-4435 to reportFor emergency care in Sugar Land, Texas, give Sugar Land Veterinary Specialists & 24 Hour Emergency Care a call at (281) 491-7800 or visit us 1515 Lake Pointe Pkwy, Sugar Land, TX 77478

For more information visit: https://bit.ly/3jfw68s